Sunday, February 27, 2011

Gracias a Dios!

At Fever with Danairy
These past few weeks have been incredible. Amazing. Superbueno. I'll try my best to explain why.

I am starting to find my niche in Bilbao. This is primarily related to finding an Evangelical church and bible study with some really awesome girls! All I had to do was type into Google "Iglesia Evangélica" instead of "Evangelical Church" and I hit the jackpot! I went to a prayer service on Thursday night and it was SO encouraging. The body of believers was just that- a true body of believers! I felt so welcome and at home...an experience above and beyond anything I hoped/prayed for. God is so good! Worshiping in Spanish was the coolest experience ever. There is a college ministry here called GBU (Grupos Bíblicos Universitarios) that I learned about and they have a girls retreat in a few weeks. Sign me up for that!

I love walking around the city because I find new cathedrals, mountains, buildings to marvel at...and I have no use of my kaput map anymore! I have discovered some new barrios (neighborhoods), seen cute elderly dwarf women, grandpas singing to babies in the park, and breastfeeding in the grocery store! (ick)

The Opera in Bilbao- Beautiful!!
I feel much more cultured after attending the Bilbao Opera last week! They performed Macbeth and I did not understand everything- singing in Italian and subtitles in Spanish- but it was a great experience! I also went to another museum and worked on my salsa moves last week! There was a free Salsa class in a bar, so Danairy and I went and learned a little Bachata too. (much more sensual/slower type of dance than Salsa, but still fun!)

Speaking of dancing, I went to the biggest, most popular club here on Friday. A famous European band, Vitalic, played some techno music so the place was packed! It was fun to dance (rather, jump) to. Check out this music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuwRxha8zSU. Also, I stayed out until 6 am...Check that off the bucket list! It will probably never happen again.

Huevos Rellenos con Bechamel and Verduras!
On Saturday afternoon Chus gave me a cooking lesson! She pulled up a stool for me and her magic in the kitchen commenced. She made huevos rellenos with bechamel sause and some delicious vegetables. While working, the told me her tricks- "trucos"- of the kitchen. For instance, she wears gloves and gets them a little wet before chopping onions so they don't make her eyes cry! I wrote lots of other ones down, but I'm not gonna tell because I'm going to come back and be the best cook in Texas! For real, watching her makes me want to experiment with food all day. Chus said in our next lesson she is going to let me do most of the cooking!

The kids came in my room this morning to wake me up/play this this morning. They have yet to annoy me! Man, they are fun to hang out with because they are so imaginative and innocent. Instead of shouting "abracadabra" with his magic monsters, Marcos says "sacaporii!" He makes me want to be a kid again. They are also obsessed with my computer. Their parents get mad at them for being in my room so much- but I love it.

This morning there were little bits hail falling from the sky! Hence, my horseback riding plans were postponed for the second time. On the bright side, I got to go to church! I met four Americans that are studying and Deusto AND found a piano that I can play!!! The sun finally came out this afternoon and I'm going to the Athletic vs. Valencia fútbol game tonight! I am excited because apparently you can't go to a game without bringing a huge sandwich (bocadillo), wine in a water bottle, and sunflower seeds (pipas)! I have all of the above!

Whew. What a great weekend. This week I am looking forward to: group projects (meh..), my first test (holy cow), and hanging out with new friends (hallelujah!).

Luego,
Michelle

1 comment: